The little church, originally Oratory of Suffrage, is now dedicated to Saint Gertrude Comensoli, the founder of the Nuns of the Blessed Sacrament, born in Bienno on 18 January, 1847.
The construction date is not known, but it seems to have been the cemetery chapel before Napoleon’s edicts, when the dead were buried in the church, in the courtyard or in the adjacent field, depending on the social position. The additional storey with arched windows, in the style of the existing structure, was instead built in 1850. Inside, an unknown author frescoed the subjects of Death.
Feast of Saint Gertrude Comensoli, in the second week of February: spiritual gatherings and Via Lucis procession along the streets of the historical centre lit by thousands of candles and spectacular decorations made with fir tree boughs and paper flowers.
IN THE SURROUNDINGS
The Valle dei Magli (Valley of Hammers) with the ethnographic Museum of iron, of arts and of popular traditions, the Recreation Centre Smithy and the Laboratory Smithy; the medieval town of Bienno, with the towers, the churches and the buildings, the
House of the Artists, the Museum Mill; the Maddalena hill with the homonymous sanctuary and the monument to Christ the King.