In a spectacular position right above the valley of the Re creek, the Cimbergo Castle rises on a steep hill dominating the small town. Erected probably before the 13th century, it belonged to the counts of Lodrone and, according to the chronicles, it was pulled down by Bernabò Visconti in 1363. The castle, with an irregular pentagonal plan, was surely at the centre of many clashes between Camunian Guelphs and Ghibellins. Today there are still parts of the high battlemented walls, the vaulted opening with an ogival arch and some windows.
(foto © Isidoro Serrati)