The big sculpture of Christ the King, gilded in fine gold, work of Darfo’s sculptor Timo Bortolotti, overlooks since 1931 the heart of Valle Camonica from Bienno’s Maddalena hill.
Below it stands out the writing, also gilded:
CHRISTO REGI REDEMPTORI
CAMUNIA VALLIS EREXIT
MCMXXIX - MCMXXXI
(To Christ King and Redeemer Valle Camonica erected 1929/1931)
This work was meant to solemnize the Agreements between the Vatican State and the Kingdom of Italy through the Lateran Treaty. As a base of the Big Statue a chapel was erected in the memory of the Fallen of all wars of the whole Valley: inside a Big Crucifix
with Mary Magdalene, the apostle Saint John and the Madonna. The church dedicated to the Magdalene was rebuilt in the last century, setting up on the current face 15th-century capitals from waste material and partly incorporating the previous building. Worth a visit the nearby hall of St. Marta, with interesting frescoes datable between the end of the 15th and the beginning of the 16th century.
Saint Gertrude Comensoli, as a child, also went to pray on the Christ the King hill. A church in town has been dedicated to her.
Feast of Christ the King, end of October: procession towards the Maddalena hill, celebration and fireworks.
IN THE SURROUNDINGS
The Valle dei Magli (Valley of Hammers) with the ethnographic Museum of iron, of arts and of popular traditions, the Recreation Centre Smithy and the Laboratory Smithy; the medieval town of Bienno, with the towers, the churches and the buildings, the House
of the Artists, the Museum Mill.