Chiesa di S.Antonio - Breno
The religious and civic heart of Breno’s community, St. Antonio was built in the first half of the 14th century and took the presentday shapes in the second half of the following century. Here the Capitan of the Valley received the investiture with a ceremony, and his palace stood next to the church. The 15th-century restoration is attested by the nice Renaissance portal with a frescoed lunette. The inside is composed of three cross-vaulted bays in just one space. The hall contains votive paintings from the late 15th century attributed to Giovan Pietro da Cemmo and, on the right wall of the first bay, a valuable fresco with Madonna and saints dated 1372. The intrados of the triumphal arch presents figures of prophets; on the vault of the presbytery appear the four Evangelists and the four Doctors of the Church, attributed to Giovan Pietro da Cemmo. The walls of the presbytery instead were frescoed, in
the fourth decade of the 16th century, by Girolamo Romanino, who represented scenes from the Book of Daniel. The church also contains, inside the valuable original wooden frame, the beautiful altarpiece by Callisto Piazza (1526/29).
WHAT TO SEE
Renaissance portal; fresco with Madonna and saints dated 1372 and frescoes from the late 15th century attributed to Giovan Pietro da Cemmo; in the presbytery the cycle by Girolamo Romanino and the altarpiece by Callisto Piazza.
IN THE SURROUNDINGS
The medieval town, with towers and palaces; the Duomo of St. Salvatore, the church of St. Maurizio, the church of St. Maria al Ponte and the church of St. Valentino; the CaMus – Camunian Museum; villa Gheza; Ronchi square; the castle; Nostalgia Club, the Museum of vintage cars and motorcycles; the Minerva sanctuary (Spinera area).