Church of St. Carlo- Upper Ossimo
The community wanted this church, in memory of Cardinal Carlo Borromeo’s visit in 1580, as a sign of great devotion. The building, standing on a rise that overlooks Valle Camonica, outside the town, was initiated around 1614 and was finished four years later, but it was a difficult undertaking: in 1617 the territory of Ossimo was interdicted and the construction of the church was suspended already in October 1616, because the residents wanted to manage the money of the alms without the intervention of the Regent. In the small presbytery, the altarpiece is a fresco by an unknown 17th century author, representing, in the lower part, the Magdalene with Saint Mark, while above Saint Carlo is in worship before the Virgin with the Child. Fallen into disuse and decayed for negligence and the water seepage, it was restored in 1986 by the Alpini Group of Upper Ossimo, who saved it from ruins.
WHAT TO SEE
The fresco by unknown author from the 17th century located in the presbytery.
IN THE SURROUNDINGS
Upper Ossimo: parish church of St. Gervasio and Protasio; ethnographic Museum Ossimo Ieri, set up in a 15th-century home. Lower Ossimo: parish church of St. Cosma and Damiano; church of St. Rocco; Asinino – Anvòia Archaeological Park, to go into depth on the subject of copper age megalithic sanctuaries (3rd millennium b.c.e.).