Church of St. Maurizio - Niardo
The church that existed before the current one dates back to the 17th century. It rose on request of rector Don Pietro Castelli, where there was already a little church. The existing building is characterized by small size, simple lines and one nave divided into three bays. Four big arches support the
central dome, while another dome is next to the presbytery, which ends with the apse covered by a half dome. There are traces of ancient parts on the ground floor: the vaults in fact are datable to the 17th century. The church was consecrated on 3 July 1696 and enlarged in 1861 with the altar dedicated to Saint Obizio, having an altarpiece from the last century, made by the Camunian Giovan Battista Nodari. An altarpiece representing the Madonna with Child and three saints and two more paintings depicting Saint Giorgio and Saint Obizio are not easily attributed. Two frescoes (reproduced on canvas)
are datable to the 15th century and represent a Madonna with Child and a saint. In the vestry instead one can see a fresco of the Madonna with Saint Giorgio and Saint Rocco. The bell tower, separated, presents a base like a truncated square pyramid and rises in correspondence to the vestry of the old church.
WHAT TO SEE
The altar dedicated to Saint Obizio.
IN THE SURROUNDINGS
The church of St. Giorgio; the church of the Guardian Angels; the native home of Blessed Innocenzo da Berzo; the little church of St. Giuseppe, in baroque structure, remodeled in the 19th century, located in the Crist area; the lazaret of the plague-stricken, built during the last plague epidemic near the Fa creek.